Monday, August 16, 2010

Remember to look up!

I always try to remind myself of that. There are beautiful things up there.

Were any of you far enough away from the city to see the meteor shower the other night?
I was desperate to see it- went out onto my balcony on North Ave every 10 minutes hoping to catch even the faintest glimmer, but no luck :( A big shock, I know. damn city lights.

Apparently, this shower, Perseids, happens every august and can produce up to 60 per hour.
Don't worry, there's a "very reliable" shower in December, and you can bet I'll be as far away from the city as possible this time. Montagnes, if I'm smart!

(This is a composite image of some of the meteors from August 11th. Thanks NASA)

Although I didn't get to see the shower, I did get to hear it. NASA had a live meteor audio feed (yes, I realize that I'm revealing just how much of a nerd I am), and I listened for about 10 minutes. When they break the atmosphere they sound like high pitched flute notes.
Check it out!


On a random side note, I participated in a MRI today, for a cancer research study. It was a study of brain function in normal adults compared to brain function in adults who had brain tumors as children. Before I went in, everyone I know was telling me I was going to be all freaked out because it was so closed, and it was loud, scary, etc.
On the contrary, I could have stayed in there all day!
I had this helmet with a mirror strapped to it, that showed me a computer screen, and for a little while I imagined I was an astronaut and it was awesome! Of course, I'm sure this was nothing like a space shuttle, but you know, can't blame a girl for dreaming :)

So, let's explore the new things in the shop, in honor of Perseids,
and my daydream space adventure!



Science Journal, Ex Libris


This new Stone & Honey necklace reminds me of
earth(maybe moon?) core samples!

New Happy Family Astronaut onesies!

Necklace by Raw Honey. Constellation-ey. (Maybe, a stretch with the constellation thing, but it's too pretty to leave out!)

New print by, Callisto, by Jessica Swift!


Good Night!
R

No comments: